Latest News
post image

Knights back to winning ways.

Doncaster Knights showed no ill-effects from last Sunday’s encounter with Saracens as they ran in seven tries to defeat Richmond 40-12 at the Athletic Ground.

On a sunny afternoon in the Knights ensure all five points came back to Yorkshire with them with a commanding display against the Londoners.

On a sunny day in the Capital, the game had a rather slow start with both sides feeling each other out in the early exchanges. Handling errors and robust defence prevented early opportunities but once Donny found their rhythm they were far too strong for the hosts.

Howard Packman opened the scoring on the twenty-minute mark with Billy McBryde putting the winger away with a fine offload after the forwards pulled in the defence with a well-formed driving maul.

Packman doubled his tally ten minutes later with a very similar effort, the forwards set about the home 22m with a driving line out and with penalty advantage the ball went wide. This time it was Olver to throw the final pass to Packman before converting the effort to make it 0-12.

Richmond struggled to contain the Knights attack and found themselves falling foul of referee Mike Hudson’s whistle. Ollie Evans & Jake Parker were both shown yellow cards before the change of ends and on the stroke of half time Guido Volpi wrestled over for a third Knights try. Olver’s conversion brought the half to a close with the Knights leading and looking very comfortable.

The bonus point came shortly after the resumption & it was courtesy of another line out drive, no need to go wide this time though with the pack powering over and Will Holling scoring. Olver impressively negotiated the wind to curl the conversion through the uprights.

At 0-26 and almost a full half of rugby to play the game could have quite easily turned ugly but credit goes to the hosts who refused to throw in the towel and challenged till the final whistle.

Richmond quickly received two further yellow cards shortly after the Holling try as Jack Alcock & Dan Kelly both fouled cynically and close to their own line. Despite this the dam refused to burst and Richmond got off the mark on 65-minutes courtesy of a nice finish from winger Max Trimble.

A fifth yellow card came Richmond’s way moments later when Jimmy Litchfield was dismissed for repeated scrum offences. Unsurprisingly, the Knights were enjoying more of the attacking play and Jack Davies scored his second in two weeks from the bench as he carried through a ruck and fought his way home.

Richmond scrum half Callum Watson looked lively for most of the game and showed off his pace when he collected a loose bouncing ball in his own half before racing away to score. The Knights hit back with the final play of the game the Knights for their sixth, try Jerry Sexton collecting an offload from Connor Joyce to stride home with Billy McBryde converting.

A very business like display from the Knights who can now build into next Saturday’s tie with Bedford back on winning form.

Our Partners