Neath RFC – 09/08/2014

15Neath RFC

15Doncaster Knights

2:00 pm · August 9, 2014

Neath 15 Doncaster Knights 15

A spirited second half from Neath saw the hosts fight back after a strong first forty minute had the Knights leading by 3-12 courtesy of tries from Tyson Lewis and Will Foden.

Pre-season fixtures are often about the performance rather than the result and with the Knights playing a side that included three trialists and a total of nine debutants they can take may positives from a hard fought draw against a very competitive Neath side.

The Knights started brightly and following a penalty from home scrum half James Thomas they were on the score sheet. Tyson Lewis continued where he left off last season, touching down just after the quarter hour mark. Dougie Flockhart added the extras and the Knight lead 3-7.

Joy was had at the set piece for Griff’s troops, particularly at scrum time where the Knights held the upper hand for most of the game. It was from a scrum where Donny’s second try came with Will Foden marking his long awaited debut with a score as the pack drove over the line the number seven reacted sharply to extend the lead to 3-12.

The Knights saw out the first half comfortably, enjoying long spells of possession but were unable to add to their tally.

The second half saw a downpour of biblical proportions and as both teams made rafts of substitutions the momentum of match was interrupted. The hosts reacted best to the changes and James Thomas was hand three times early in the second period to successfully slot penalties following Donny indiscretions, 12-12.

Having seen their lead vanish the Knights reacted well and got into good field position before the hosts were pinged for not rolling away. Flockhart took the opportunity to put his side back in the lead with a well-struck penalty.

As the game grew towards it’s closing stages tensions grew and a few heated confrontations took place between players from both sides. Following one particular scuffle at a line out Neath were awarded a penalty and Thomas drew the hosts level once more, 15-15. With not long left on the clock a fracas broke out which all players from both sides ended up becoming embroiled in, the result of which was a red card which saw Neath down to fourteen men for the game’s closing stages.

Donny tried to drive the advantage home but in the desperate conditions could not get the winning score.

The Knights will look to go one better next Saturday when they host Swansea at Castle Park, KO 15:00.

Our Partners